Individual drugs:Nitrites (butyl or amyl).
Common Terms:Bolt, Climax, poppers, Rush, Zbest, and others.
- Poppers are sold in small glass bottles as 'room deodorizer' or 'leather cleaner'. They are some form of nitrite (such as amyl-nitrite, isobutyl nitrite, butyl nitrite) liquid, which produces fumes.
- The user sniffs the fumes up their nose, creating a high in about fifteen seconds.
- The intense high usually lasts no longer than two minutes.
- Poppers, in particular nitrites, relax smooth muscle that surrounds the body's blood vessels. This leads to a reduction in blood pressure. When relaxed, the muscles must fill up with more blood, so the heart beats faster to compensate. This leads to a rush of oxygen to the brain, and the sensations associated with poppers, such as relaxation, reddening and warmth in the face and chest, a dizzying sensation, a heightened sense of touch and taste, and a sense of heightened arousal and intensity during sex.
Dangerous Drug Combinations:
June 25, 2013: Health Canada has recently restricted the sale and import of poppers in Canada.
Poppers are sold in small glass bottles as 'room deodorizer' or 'leather cleaner'. They are some form of nitrite (such as amyl-nitrite, isobutyl nitrite, butyl nitrite) liquid, which produces fumes. The user, sniffs the fumes up their nose, creating a 'high' in about fifteen seconds. The intense high usually lasts no longer than two minutes.
The main risks with popper use are:
- Increases the likelihood of unplanned condomless sex.
- Some people experience headaches, dizziness, and nausea from use of poppers.
- Nitrites are a highly flammable liquid, creating a risk of fire near cigarettes, candles, lighters, or other intense heat.
- Poppers are potentially fatal when swallowed.
- Poppers can cause burns on the skin when spilled and around the nose, lips, and nasal lining when the liquid touches the skin during sniffing.
- Some users may experience temporary loss of erection. This likely relates to the fact that poppers reduce blood pressure throughout the body, including in the penis.
- There is research in animals and humans that links nitrites to a reduction in immune function. Your immune system is the system in your body that protects you from disease and infectious agents, like viruses and bacteria.
HIV Medications & Poppers
- There are no known reactions between Poppers and HIV medications. Sniffing poppers does not decrease CD4 counts or increase viral load.
- Protease Inhibitors (PIs) increase the concentration of all erectile drugs, and will exacerbate the interaction between erectile drugs and poppers.
Sex on Poppers:
- Relaxant effect on body and loosens muscles, which can lead to rougher sex
- Poppers can heighten sexual intensity and relax the sphincter muscle making anal sex more pleasurable.
- Increases and greatly intensifies sex drive
- Induces a head rush effect which is sometimes desired to be paired with orgasm during sex or masturbation
- Induces a sense of sexual urgency
- Poppers are flammable and are not good to get on the skin. Be careful during the movements of sex to not spill any
- Please see concerns regarding erections that go beyond 4 hours above