PDE (phosphodiesterase) inhibitors.
Erectile drugs are known by their commercial names:
- Sildenafil: Viagra, Revatio, Kamagra. Nick names: Mr. Blue
- Tadalafil: Cialis. Nicknames: Le Weekender/Weekender.
- Vardenafil: Levitra
- Avanafil: Stendra
Consumption and Standard Dose:
Erectile drugs come in pill form, and have varying doses, with varying duration of effects:
- Sildenafil comes in doses of 25, 50 and 100 mg, taken 30 to 60 minutes before sexual activity. It lasts for up to 4 hours.
- Tadalafil comes in doses of 5, 10, and 20 mg, taken 30 minutes before sexual activity. It is longer lasting than other Erectile Drugs, as effects last up to 36 hours.
- Vardenafil comes in doses of 2.5, 5, 10, and 20 mg, taken 25 minutes before sexual activity. It lasts up to 4 - 5 hours.
Erectile drugs increase the flow of into blood to the penis making it easier to get hard and stay hard. You may still need to stimulate yourself to make yourself erect.
A higher dose doesn’t mean better erections, but does increase the chance of an overdose and negative effects.
Overdose and Dangerous Side Effects:
- Avoid taking with nitrate medications, such as Poppers. Combining them can cause life-threatening hypotension or fatal drop in blood pressure.
- Sildenafil and Vardenafil take 24 hours to leave the body, and Taladafil is still in effect up to 36 hours. Wait these lengths of time before taking more Erectile Drugs or Poppers.
- Taking too much Erectile Drugs can cause being out of breath, chest pains, dizziness, headaches, runny nose, upset stomach/digestion, and black outs.
- Avoid taking if also on medications that affect blood pressure such as GHB.
- Taking Erectile Drugs with other drugs that increase the blood pressure, such as E/MDMA, Crystal Meth or Cocaine can put strain on your heart.
- Priapism: if you have an erection that lasts for more than 4 hours, get medical attention ASAP. Permanent damage and impotence can result in excessively prolonged erections.
- Fake Erectile Drugs are available over the internet. Be careful to research into what you are getting.
HIV Medications and Erectile Drugs:
Delavidine (Rescriptor), Etrivarine (Intelence), Protease Inhibitors (PIs), and Elvitegravir /cobicistat/TDF/FTC (Stribild) significantly increase the concentration of Erectile Drugs, exacerbating their negative effects. If taking erectile drugs while also on HIV medications, consider these following guidelines:
- Sildenafil should only be taken at 25 mg every 48 hours.
- Tadalafil should only be taken at 10mg every 72 hours.
- Vardenafil: take no more than 2.5 mg every 72 hours.